Sunday, March 21, 2010

CHOCOLATE CINNABUTTERNUT MUFFINS

(adapted from Savory Sweet Life blog: Chocolate Banana Bread)
I was trying to figure out what to call these muffins without making the title 10 words long! There's a lot of flavors in these, but I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy they turned out. I was attempting to make the recipe for Chocolate Banana Bread from Savory Sweet Life blog when I realized I was way short on chocolate chips and that my bananas were far from overripe (for once). I decided to adapt the recipe to use items I had available which I often do, but I was making these for my husband to take to a few families he home teaches, so I was a little nervous. I had some butternut squash puree in my fridge that I had defrosted. I realize this is not something people typically have readily available, but due to our garden producing an abundance of butternut squash last summer, I pureed a bunch to use through the winter in various recipes. It tastes a lot like pumpkin in baked goods only a little milder. I also had cinnamon chips in my pantry that I could throw in.
I ended up making them into muffin form because they would bake faster and I was working against the clock to get them done in time for my husband to take them to his families. Lucky for us, they weren't ready in time so we got to keep them all! They turned out so moist and cake-like! I didn't have any trouble polishing off 3 right away. I have to admit that I even sprayed a bit of whipped cream from a can on top. This is an item I never really buy, but decided to on a whim the other day. It's trouble! It's way too easy to just grab the can and spray a nice peak on top of just about anything!
Here's what I ended up with as my recipe:

CHOCOLATE CINNABUTTERNUT MUFFINS

1 Stick butter, softened
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. brown sugar (unpacked)
1 egg
1 large ripe banana
1 C. butternut squash puree or canned pumpkin
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1/2 C. reduced fat sour cream
1/3 C. semi sweet chocolate chips
2/3 C. cinnamon chips (in baking aisle by choc. chips)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray or use muffin cups. In large bowl, cream butter and sugar together till light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla & beat till combined. Stir in mashed banana, butternut squash puree and sour cream till well mixed. Add baking soda, flour, cocoa and salt. Mix everything until well incorporated (about 3 minutes with a stand mixer). Stir in chocolate and cinnamon chips. Divide batter evenly into muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy as is or topped with whipping cream!

No comments: