Thursday, March 25, 2010

COPY CAT CHILI'S SOUTHWESTERN EGG ROLLS


Look at me; I DO feed my family things other than just dessert! It's been a long time since I made these, but after tonight's reminder of how good they are I think I'll be visiting this recipe more often! They really do taste identical to Chili's only I opted to bake mine instead of fry to try to help out the waistline a little! If they were fried I think you could easily fool your family into thinking you got take out! My husband called them "restaurant quality". My family has an extremely low tolerance for spicy food, so I chose to omit the jalapeno and cayenne pepper, but otherwise followed the recipe exact. These can be frozen and baked at a later date so I doubled the recipe to have some for another day. For the avocado dipping sauce, I just smashed up 1/2 an avocado and added it to ranch dressing (instead of the mayo, sour cream & buttermilk, then sprinkled in the seasonings listed. To bake instead of fry, dump a few tablespoons of canola oil in a rimmed baking sheet and gently roll the egg rolls around to coat. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 18-22 min. If you bake them straight from the freezer you'll have to increase the bake time. Hope you enjoy these as much as we do!


COPY CAT CHILI'S SOUTHWESTERN EGG ROLLS:
(From recipegoldmine.com)

1 CHICKEN BREAST FILLET, SEASONED & GRILLED
1 TBSP. CANOLA OIL
2 TBSP. MINCED RED BELL PEPPER
2 TBSP. MINCED GREEN ONION
1/3 C. FROZEN OR CANNED CORN
1/4 C. CANNED BLACK BEANS, RINSED & DRAINED
2 TBSP. FROZEN SPINACH, THAWED & DRAINED WELL
2 TBSP. DICED, CANNED JALAPENO PEPPERS
1/2 TBSP. MINCED FRESH PARSLEY
1/2 TSP. CUMIN
1/2 TSP. CHILI POWDER
1/4 TSP. SALT
DASH CAYENNE PEPPER
3/4 C. SHREDDED MONTERREY JACK CHEESE
5 (7-INCH) *FLOUR TORTILLAS (I USE LYNN WILSON THIN STYLE LITE)

AVOCADO RANCH DIPPING SAUCE:

1/4 C. SMASHED FRESH AVOCADO
1/4 C. MAYONNAISE
1/4 C. SOUR CREAM
1 TBSP. BUTTERMILK
1 1/2 TSP. WHITE VINEGAR
1/8 TSP. SALT
1/8 TSP. DRIED PARSLEY
1/8 TSP. ONION POWDER
DASH DRIED DILL WEED
DASH GARLIC POWDER
DASH PEPPER

GARNISH:

2 TBSP. CHOPPED TOMATO
1 TBSP. CHOPPED RED ONION
SHREDDED LETTUCE

GRILL CHICKEN 4-5 MINUTES PER SIDE UNTIL DONE THEN SET ASIDE TO COOL.
PREHEAT 1 TBSP. OIL IN MEDIUM SKILLET OVER MED-HIGH HEAT. ADD RED PEPPER AND ONION TO THE PAN AND SAUTE FOR A FEW MINUTES TILL TENDER.
DICE COOKED CHICKEN INTO TINY CUBES AND ADD TO PAN. ADD THE CORN, BLACK BEANS, SPINACH, JALAPENO PEPPERS, PARSLEY, CUMIN, CHILI POWDER, SALT AND CAYENNE PEPPER TO PAN. COOK ANOTHER 4 MINUTES. STIR WELL SO THAT THE SPINACH SEPARATES AND IS INCORPORATED.

REMOVE PAN FROM HEAT AND STIR IN CHEESE TILL MELTED.

WRAP TORTILLAS IN CLOTH AND MICROWAVE FOR 45 SECONDS OR TILL HOT.

SPOON APPROX. ONE-FIFTH OF MIXTURE INTO CENTER OF TORTILLA. FOLD IN EDGES AND ROLL TORTILLA TIGHTLY OVER MIXTURE. PIERCE W/ TOOTHPICK TO HOLD TOGETHER IF NEEDED. REPEAT WITH REMAINING INGREDIENTS UNTIL YOU HAVE 5 EGG ROLLS. ARRANGE ON A PLATE OR BAKING DISH AND REFRIGERATE A FEW HOURS IF POSSIBLE SO FLAVORS CAN BLEND.

TO DEEP FRY:
PREHEAT 4-6 CUPS OIL TO 375 DEGREES AND FRY FOR 12-15 MINUTES. REMOVE TO PAPER TOWELS TO DRAIN FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES.

TO BAKE:
PREHEAT OVEN TO 425. ARRANGE ROLLS (THAT HAVE BEEN ROLLED IN OIL) ON OILED BAKING SHEET AND BAKE FOR 18-22 MINUTES.

SLICE EACH EGG ROLL DIAGONALLY AND ARRANGE ON PLATE. SERVE W/ DIPPING SAUCE AND GARNISH.

* CAN ALSO USE WANTON WRAPPERS FOR

3 comments:

JJ said...

Hey Kelli!

I love your new blog. I really like new recipies and I experiment a lot too. I am going to try some of these recipies for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Janiel

Carrian said...

OH!!! I'm so glad I stopped by. We ALWAYS get these when we go there!!! I'll for sure make these really soon!

Shari said...

Oh man I love these when I go to Chilis. I will for sure have to make them!