Sunday, March 14, 2010

EARTHQUAKE CAKE





My first entry!! (Of course it would be something sweet!) Dessert on Sunday afternoon has become expected and anticipated around our house. I'd like to say that's because Sunday is the only day of the week we get dessert; far from the truth! We average a good 4 to 5 desserts a week. Mostly due to the pile of recipes I'm dying to try. Sometimes my husband will beg me to just make something "tried and true" that we know we'll like. (Obviously we've had more than one dessert disappointment.) Today was no exception. I thumbed through a new ward (church) cookbook and found this cake not once, but twice. I figured it must be worth trying. The dessert I made a few days ago left me with a good amount of coconut buttercream frosting. So, in an effort to use it up, I conformed it to suit the recipe (so I thought). It had all the elements of the topping for the Earthquake Cake but just lacked cream cheese, which I beat into it. It turned out rather runny, but I used it anyway. The concept of the cake is that when the cake bakes and the batter rises, the weight of the topping will sink to the bottom and cover the the pecans and coconut, leaving a nice goo. Of course this concept didn't dawn on me until half way through baking I discovered my topping was still sitting on top just where I had left it. It still turned out tasty enough for me to eat WAY too much, but next time I'll be sure to follow the topping recipe exactly as written. A little vanilla ice cream can fix anything right?

EARTHQUAKE CAKE

Spray 9x13 cake pan with cooking spray.

Spread in bottom of pan:
1 C. shredded sweetened coconut
1 C. chopped pecans or walnuts

Mix up a German chocolate cake mix according to directions on box. Pour this batter over the first layer.

Topping - Mix with beater until creamy:

8 oz. cream cheese
1 cube butter
2 C. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Add 1 C. chocolate chips.

Drop topping by tablespoonfuls onto top of cake batter (like dropping cookie dough on top). Bake at 325 for 35 - 40 minutes.

No comments: