Thursday, April 22, 2010

BAKED SWEET POTATO / RUSSETT FRIES


I LOVE fries. But... since they are sooo not good for you, I rarely order them at restaurants. When I make them at home, I know what oil was used (and that it was fresh!) there's no trans fat and I can season them as I like. I usually do sweet potato fries because again, they are better for you, but the good old russett potato can't be beat for fries! These are so easy and fast, they make a great last minute side dish!

P.S. I actually use what the supermarket calls a "yam" because well... I'll spare you the lengthy reading I've done on yam vs. sweet potato; just use the "yam".


BAKED FRIES:

The amount of potatoes to use differs depending on how big the potatoes are and how many people you are feeding. I figure 1/2 - 1 russett per person and 1/3 - 1/2 "sweet potato" per person.

Preheat oven to 425 and place rimmed baking sheet inside oven while it heats up
Slice potatoes according to your liking. I cut mine as close to 1/4" thick as possible. Much larger and they get soggy.
Place cut potatoes into cold water for a few minutes (supposedly this helps remove some of the starch and produces a crispier exterior)
Remove from water and pat dry with clean towel
(You can skip the water soaking and be fine)
Remove baking sheet from oven
Place on rimmed baking sheet in a single layer (if they're too crowded they'll steam more than bake)
Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Use your hands to toss them around so all sides are coated in oil
Season with salt, seasoning salt, garlic, chili powder, cayenne, paprika, cumin, parsley etc. (Use what you like!)
Bake for 30 minutes, turning half way through with a spatula

No comments: