Saturday, April 10, 2010

CARROT CAKE OATMEAL

This recipe came from a Smith's Food booklet that comes in the mail on occasion with recipes mixed in with some coupons for the ingredients listed in the recipe. My husband is a big fan of oatmeal and the combination of ingredients sounded pretty tasty. The original recipe title was "Hearty Harvest Oatmeal", but I opted to rename it "Carrot Cake Oatmeal" because it has a lot of the same ingredients as carrot cake and is ALMOST sweet enough to be a dessert. I made this batch yesterday morning and had leftovers that I refrigerated and rewarmed for a late night "snack" tonight. I imagine it would keep fine in the fridge for a few days. I just rewarmed in microwave with a little milk to thin it out. I made 1 1/2 times the recipe and prepared it just as the directions indicate other than I added raisins and poured a little milk on it prior to serving.

CARROT CAKE OATMEAL

serves 4

2 C. Old Fashioned Oatmeal
3 C. water
dash of salt
2 C. carrot, peeled & grated
1 C. apple, diced (I used dried apples from the LDS Cannery)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
4 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 C. walnuts, chopped
Handful of raisins (optional)

Bring water to a boil. Stir in oats (if using dried apples, stir in at this point) and reduce heat to medium; cook 2 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, carrot, apple (if using fresh) and raisins. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and walnuts. Serve warm. Refrigerate any leftovers.

No comments: