Wednesday, April 7, 2010

OH-SO-EASY CREAMY TOMATO SOUP


Rachel, this one's for you! I found this recipe tucked away in my huge binder of "recipes in waiting. Typically I would not be thinking soup this time of year, but considering the snow we are still getting in Utah, I'm game for something warm to eat! Sometimes I'm a bit leery of anything too simple, thinking it won't be as good as something more complicated, but this proved me wrong. The recipe came from Taste of Home and I made a few personalizations to it. It honestly took all of 5 minutes to prepare and another few minutes to warm on the stove. No more excuses for not having a hot meal at the end of the day. I served it with one of my all time favorites; garlic bread, and it was a hit!


EASY CREAMY TOMATO SOUP: 4 servings

1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil (I used Kroger brand), undrained
2 cups milk (I used skim)
1 (8 oz) package reduced fat or fat free cream cheese, softened (Could use 4-6 oz. and still be plenty creamy)
1/4 C. coarsely chopped fresh basil (I used dried because that's what I had on hand, but bet it would be wonderful with fresh!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Place all ingredients in a blender, cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I am going to attempt this soup sometime! I will let you know how my efforts turn out!