Tuesday, April 27, 2010

JUST PEACHY CHICKEN

Here's another yummy recipe from my ward (church) cookbook submitted by Sylvine Seeley. The recipe calls for curry, but if you're not a fan of it you can leave it out. I made this for the first time a few months ago and have to admit that in my 11+ years of marriage, it was the first time I have used or tried curry. Growing up my mom never used it because my dad despised it, so I just figured it must be nasty. Wrong! The first time I made it I decreased the amount of curry just to be on the safe side, but used the full amount this go round and it was great, not overbearing at all.
This recipe also uses mango chutney which is a less commonly used ingredient that I have come to like, and the peaches give it a nice sweet, summery taste.

I served it on a bed of white/brown rice (I usually do a 50/50 combo) in my rice steamer, and lemon broccoli on the side.

For the Lemon Broccoli: Steam desired amount of broccoli. Zest a few strips from lemon and add, then squeeze a few squirts of fresh lemon juice over top. Drizzle with good quality olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.



JUST PEACHY CHICKEN

*Note - if you only use half the amount of chicken, I recommend still using the full amount of sauce!

Mix 4 tbsp. flour, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Pound four (5 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves until slightly flattened and dredge in flour mixture till well coated.

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large nonstick skillet. Add chicken breast and cook over medium-high heat approx. 6-7 minutes per side, turning only once if possible. When golden and cooked through, remove to a plate.

In same skillet combine:

1 (8.5 oz). jar mango chutney such as Major Grey's brand (found in aisle near ketchup)
Use 3/4 of a (14.5 oz.) can diced peaches (if sliced, just dice them yourself) do not drain
1 tsp. curry powder
Stir until boiling; reduce heat and simmer 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Add chicken back to skillet and turn to coat with sauce. Warm through. Remove from heat and top with sliced green onion and slivered almonds.

Serve over warm rice.

No comments: