Thursday, April 8, 2010

LIME BUTTER CHICKEN W/ CILANTRO LIME RICE


I saw this recipe on bountiful kitchen blog and had to try it. Sometimes chicken recipes are so mundane and predictable, but this called for cocoa powder and cinnamon! I wasn't really sure what to expect, but the flavor was awesome! Unique; yes, but definitely worth trying. Grilling chicken on an outdoor grill can be tricky for me to get the timing, heat and marinade just right so it doesn't dry out. The chicken was tender, moist, and perfectly cooked. The butter sauce was a bit of an indulgence for my husband and I who normally omit or skimp on the real "good" stuff, but I thought, what the heck! My kids are pretty good about trying new things, but my 7 year old took a few bites and said she was done, but when I told her there was chocolate (cocoa) on the chicken, she ate it all then wanted more! I served it with Cilantro Lime Rice (from deals to meals website) to compliment the lime flavor in the chicken.


LIME BUTTER CHICKEN W/ CILANTRO LIME RICE

3 lbs. Boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and even

Chicken coating:
1 Tbsp. cinnamon (I used 1/2 Tbsp. and that was plenty)
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
salt and pepper, to taste
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Lime Butter:
1/2 C. butter, melted (I used 1/4 C.)
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (not bottled)
2 Tbsp. minced onion
1 Serrano pepper, minced (optional - I omitted this)
Cilantro, chopped (optional)

Combine chicken coating ingredients in shallow dish or pan. Dip chicken breasts on each side to coat evenly. Place in a clean 9x13 pan. Grill on medium heat 7-8 minutes per side.

While chicken is grilling; add ingredients for lime butter in a small bowl. Before serving, slice chicken in strips horizontally, but not cutting all the way through. (This will allow butter to seep into all the cuts in the chicken.) Pour lime butter over chicken and serve with Cilantro Lime rice.

CILANTRO LIME RICE

2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/4 c. rice (I use part brown rice part white)
2 1/4 c. chicken broth
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
juice and zest of one lime
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp. cumin

In a skillet, melt butter and add rice. Let cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes (depending on type of rice). Fluff w/ fork and serve.

No comments: