Sunday, April 18, 2010

LION HOUSE ROLLS


I have never been good at making rolls...until I found this recipe on dealstomeals.com. They are so perfect. Light and fluffy but have just the right amount of chew to them. I've made them both in this butterhorn style as well as the traditional roll form. The original recipe calls for all purpose flour only, but I used a portion of a/p and white wheat. I also added ground flax seed (that's the flecks you can see). These were so good, my kids wanted another one even after eating their dessert!

LION HOUSE ROLLS

2 C. Hot tap water
1/3 C. sugar
1/3 C. softened butter
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 C. nonfat dry milk
5 C. Flour (can use all purpose or I used 3 C. a/p & 2 C. wheat)
optional ingredients:
ground flax seed
powdered soy lecithin

Mix the above ingredients together until combined. Make sure to tap down flour into cup and level with a knife. After this has been sufficiently mixed add:

2 eggs
2 heaping Tbsp. yeast

Mix together again until combined.

1 more cup flour

Let this mix on high for 5 minutes until dough becomes stiff and stretchy. (I think this is the secret to these rolls. I used my KitchenAid stand mixer on a setting of about 7 and it shimmy shakes around the counter because of the force, so watch it or it may end up on the floor! You will see the dough's color and texture change around minute 4.)
Let the dough rise until double. Pull and roll into 30 balls and place (5 rows of 6) on cookie sheet. Let rise on sheet until touching and large. Bake at 350 on bottom rack for 25 - 30 minutes. (I shaped mine into butterhorns and baked them for 22 minutes which was about right. The ones pictured above were baked on the middle rack and the tops turned out more brown than ideal, so I do recommend the bottom rack!)

1 comment:

JJ said...

Kelli,

I am loving your blog! I tried this roll recipe today and everyone loved them! I have plans to try a few more of your recipes this week. Keep up the delicious posts!