Tuesday, April 6, 2010

LOW FAT CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE


My 4 year old daughter insisted we make chocolate cake for dessert tonight, so I tried this
from Taste of Home. Somehow when I make low fat or healthier desserts, I end up eating a LOT of it because I feel justified that it is low fat! This mentality kind of defeats the purpose of a low fat dessert don't you think? The cake texture is a little different than if you were to make it the "full fat" way, maybe a little more like a damp sponge?? My description doesn't sound too appetizing, but really it was good!

One thing I like to do with a cake mix is to substitute seltzer water for the water. It seems to add a little more "life" to the cake and makes it nice and moist.

The topping was a nice change from your typical frosting. The recipe called for chocolate pudding but all I had on hand was vanilla so I added in a bit of cocoa powder and powdered sugar and it turned out just fine. The crushed Oreo's on top were my own addition and I liked the extra texture it gave the cake. I opted to put the topping on each individual piece instead of the entire cake so that the leftovers would stay fresher longer and because I didn't want to have to refrigerate the whole thing. I would not hesitate making this again!

LOWFAT CHOCOLATE PUDDING CAKE:

16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling

Ingredients

  • 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix
  • 1 package (2.1 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 1-3/4 cups water (I used seltzer water)
  • 3 egg whites (I used 2/3 C. liquid egg whites from carton)
    FROSTING:
  • 1-1/4 cups cold fat-free milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 package (2.1 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen fat free whipped topping, thawed
  • Crushed Reduced-Fat Oreo's, optional

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, water and egg whites. Beat on low speed for 1 minute; beat on medium for 2 minutes.
  • Pour into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 12-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
  • For frosting, place milk and extract in a large bowl. Sprinkle with a third of the pudding mix; let stand for 1 minute. Whisk pudding into milk. Repeat twice with remaining pudding mix. Whisk pudding 2 minutes longer. Let stand for 15 minutes. Fold in whipped topping.
  • Frost cake.
  • Refrigerate any leftovers
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece (calculated without chocolate Oreo) equals 197 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 409 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.

No comments: