Monday, April 5, 2010

WHEATGRASS

As you'll soon find out, I love using wheat and other grains that get overlooked. It was just a year or so ago that I learned how incredibly versatile wheat is! This was actually my first attempt at growing wheatgrass. For sprouting wheat (looks like bean sprouts you buy at the grocery store in the produce section) you simply soak the grain (berry) in water then remove it and let set and soon it sprouts. To get wheatgrass the process is basically the same except once the berry has been soaked, you add soil which makes it turn to grass! I did it mainly for decorative purposes for Easter, but wheatgrass has a plethora of claimed health benefits such as soothing skin, eliminating toxins and bad bacteria, lowering blood pressure, etc. etc. Wheat grass is considered a dietary supplement and can be added to salads, smoothies and can even be juiced. I have yet to try it in any of those applications, but I've read that the darker green it is, the more grassy the flavor, but also the greater nutrition you get from it. If you keep it away from sunlight, it will be paler and maybe even a little yellow, which will give it a milder flavor. I know this is a pretty atypical thing to use, but let me know if you try it and how it turns out!

WHEAT GRASS

Soak wheat berries in water for 24 hours at room temperature away from light.
Put soil in a pot with drainage holes (I just used an empty Cool Whip container and punched a few holes in the bottom).
Plant wheat berries in soil about 1/2" down.
Place pot in a dish or larger bowl that will allow for drainage (I elevated mine on some straws that I cut to fit between the Cool Whip container and the bottom of the larger bowl).
Water frequently (I would just add a little water to the bottom of the larger bowl).
Keep away from direct sunlight until it has poked through the soil about 1/2"
Once you see shoots about 1/2" long, place near sunlight if you want it to green up.

No comments: