Friday, April 2, 2010

WHOLE WHEAT APPLESAUCE BREAD



Last year my goal was to be able to make the PERFECT whole wheat bread! I tried many recipes, techniques, etc. I would be set on a recipe that I thought was THE ONE and make it several times, then get tempted to try another and another. A year and a half later, I have come up with a combination of recipes to become what my family considers the PERFECT whole wheat bread! I had been using that recipe for quite some time, then I stumbled upon this interesting recipe calling for applesauce. I had never heard of using applesauce in a yeast bread so it intrigued me and I had to try it. It was AWESOME! I still haven't abandoned my other tried and true recipe, but now I can say I have two go-to recipes for whole wheat bread!

Here are some tips I've learned along the way to the perfect loaf:
* Don't let your dough get too dry! When you are adding the final amount of flour, dump it in about 1/2 c. at a time and wait till it's mixed in all the way before adding more. Stop adding when dough is still tacky, but not sticking entirely to sides of bowl.
* When using a stand mixer, let it mix on speed 1 or 2 (no higher) for as long as you dare (before motor gets too hot); usually 6-8 minutes. I consider this my kneading for the most part. I take the dough out and just knead it on the counter for maybe 1-2 minutes, then divide into loaves.
* I weigh my dough to get loaves equal size so they cook at the same rate.
* If at all possible, use freshly ground wheat. I use a combo of white wheat and red wheat.



WHOLE WHEAT APPLESAUCE BREAD
(Adapted from Mindika Moments blog: AMAZING MINNESOTA WHOLE WHEAT BREAD)

2 tablespoons rapid rise yeast
2 3/4 cups of warm water
1/4 cup melted butter (I used Canola oil)
4 1/2 cups wheat flour (I used fresh ground)
1/2 cup honey or brown sugar (I used combo)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup smooth applesauce
2 3/4 cups -3 3/4 cups wheat flour
optional additions: approx. 3 TBSP. Vital Wheat gluten, approx. 1/3 C. Dough Enhancer, 1/4 c. Soy Lecithin, flax meal (I use these and I think they do make a difference!)


1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water with a pinch of sugar.
2. Add the wheat flour, butter, honey, salt and applesauce. Beat until smooth.
3. Add enough of the remaining flour to create a smooth, elastic dough that can be handled.
4. Let rise until doubled. Form into three medium size loaves or two large loaves.
5. Place in a greased loaf pans and let rise until doubled.**
6. Bake at 350 degree for 40-50 minutes or until done. (I baked mine for 35-40 min.)

**A trick to getting bread to rise faster is to preheat oven to 200 for 1-2 minutes. Turn oven off and place bread in oven. After 30-45 minutes of rising, turn oven on to 350 and set timer for about 40 minutes, adding more time as needed.

4 comments:

Kelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrian said...

This looks wonderful! Hooray for your birthday too! When is it? Mine is the 16 and our daughters is the 24th so it's a busy month. Thanks for keeping up with Sweet Basil!! I'll look forward to your comments and watching yours too!

Kelli said...

How funny, mine is the 16th too! April is a big birthday month for us as well.

Fahrenheit 350° said...

I have a very hard time baking loaf bread evenly. It always seems cook unevenly, i.e gooey inside overcooked outside. Any suggestions.