Monday, May 3, 2010

CHICKEN SUIZA SAMMIES

The photo REALLY doesn't do much for the sandwich! We were running late for a birthday party so I had to snap it quick. I got this recipe from Real Mom Kitchen blog. I was curious about the sauce for the chicken, so I had to give it a try. The recipe calls for rotisserie chicken, but I just used what I had on hand and baked 2 large chicken breasts that had been drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I also had a bottle of green taco sauce that I used in place of the tomatillo salsa. The buns I used are thin sandwich buns and they got a little soggy, so I would recommend using a nice standard thick bun for these to hold up to the sauce. Overall, my husband and I were both pretty satisfied with this "change of pace" sandwich.

CHICKEN SUIZA SAMMIES

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. honey
Juice of one lime
1 C. tomatillo salsa or salsa verde
1/2 c. sour cream
1 - rotisserie style chicken, skin removed and meat shredded
6 buns
6 slices Swiss or Monterrey jack cheese

1) Preheat broiler. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft, about 2 minutes.
2) Stir in the lime juice and honey, then the tomatillo salsa and heat through. Mix in the sour cream. Stir in chicken and coat with the mixture.
3) Separate tops from bottoms of buns and place on foil-lined baking sheet. Place on slice of cheese on tops of buns. Broil until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
4) Fill buns with meat mixture and serve.

No comments: