Thursday, May 20, 2010

COCONUT OATMEAL COOKIES

I knew if I made these, I'd be in trouble! You can't eat just one. These look like hum drum, innocent cookies, but oh no no. The coconut in these cookies make them so chewy good. The recipe does call for shortening which I'm not a big fan of because of the trans fat, but I still used it just this once!
If you are familiar with a Pizookie or Skookie (whatever you want to call it), these cookies are pretty tasty made into one. It's simply a cookie made in a cast iron skillet served hot with vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate and caramel syrup; a BIG weakness at our house!

COCONUT OATMEAL COOKIES:

1 C. shortening (I used 1/2 C. butter & 1/2 C. shortening)
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 C. quick oats
2 C. shredded coconut
1 C. chocolate chips (optional)

Cream shortening and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Stir in oatmeal and coconut.

Drop onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

1 comment:

Shari said...

A Pizzookie is my weakness too!!! Cute plate! :)