Monday, May 24, 2010

HERB MARINATED PORK CHOPS

Pork chops are something my family really likes -- when they're seasoned well and not tough as rubber. Pork is one of those "scary" meats to cook because if it's not just the right temperature inside and not cooked just right, you might die! Ok, not die, but get really sick (so we've been told) but isn't that true for any meat? Anyway, this marinade has a lot of ingredients but was pretty simple to throw together. It needs to marinate overnight or at least 8 hours, so plan ahead. It made for an easy Sunday lunch to just thrown on the grill. (Yes- I am using the grill! To heck with this eternally cold weather). The end result was nice, but I mentioned to my husband that I expected it to be a little more moist. Then it occurred to me; I forgot to baste it! AHH! I hate when I forget a step! I ended up warming the reserved marinade and brushing it on top as we ate it and that worked out fine.


HERB MARINATED PORK CHOPS
(recipe from Taste of Home )

1/4 C. tomato juice
1/4 C. chopped onion
1/4 C. minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried marjoram
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
4 boneless pork loin chops (3/4" thick and 4 ounces each) -- I only had bone-in and they were great

In small bow, combine all ingredients except pork chops. Pour 1/2 C. marinade into large resealable plastic bag; add pork chops. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.

Grease grill grates with oil. Drain marinade from bag, remove pork chops from and place on grill. Grill covered, over medium heat basting frequently for approx. 5-7 minutes per side or until thermometer reads 160 degrees.

No comments: