Monday, May 31, 2010

MALT BALL KRISIPIES

I adore rice krispie treats! They are so easy to whip up (which is not always a good thing because that means I can make a batch once the kids are in bed for the night, and eat half the pan before I head to bed myself! Nothing like sleeping on a gut full of sugar huh?) This variation topped with melted chocolate and whoppers was wonderfully rich! I served these as a second dessert option (to birthday cake) at our Memorial cookout / niece's birthday celebration. My poor sister hadn't even lit the candles on the cake before half the tray of these goodies had disappeared!

MALT BALL KRISPIES
(Recipe from Taste of Home Aug/Sept 2009)

3 Tbsp. butter
10 oz. bag marshmellows
5 C. Krispy Rice cereal (I used half regular and half chocolate flavor)
3/4 C. malted milk powder (mine smelled stale, so didn't use, but would have liked to)
2-3 C. malt balls, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In large pot, melt butter and marshmellows over medium-low heat. Once melted, remove pot from heat and stir in cereal and malted milk powder. Stir until well blended. Press cereal mixture into prepared pan and pat down firmly with damp hand.
Melt chocolate chips in microwave for about 1 minute, then stir until no chunks remain. Spread on top of cereal mixture. Sprinkle chopped malt balls on top and press down firmly. Let cool completely before cutting. (I refrigerated mine to help chocolate firm up).

2 comments:

Cinnamon-Girl said...

These look fantastic! And definitely addicting! I wouldn't be able to resist either.

scrambledhenfruit said...

These bars look delicious! I'm sure they wouldn't last long at my house either- malted milk balls are a favorite around here.