Friday, May 7, 2010

ORANGE BRAN FLAX MINI MUFFINS


I LOVE muffins! I could make a different muffin for breakfast every day and be a very happy girl! As much as I love muffins, I never buy them from a store or bakery because they are unnecessarily loaded with fat, sugar and calories and usually with very little fiber. I enjoy making mini muffins for two main reasons: 1) they bake up quick so I can eat them sooner, 2) I can justify eating several of them at once! No matter what type of muffin I make, I usually divide the batter in half and stir in mini chocolate chips into one half for the kids. Funny thing is that I usually end up eating the "kids" muffins that have the chocolate chips!
I end up modifying most muffin recipes to reduce the amount of sugar, eliminate or reduce the oil, replace the egg(s) with egg white and add flax. Flax has alpha-linolenic acid - the plant version of Omega 3, so it does add fat, but since it's a "good" fat, I still consider these low fat. The orange glaze is optional, but if you reduce the sugar like I did, I recommend using it!



ORANGE BRAN FLAX MUFFINS: makes 2 dozen mini muffins or 12 regular muffins
(From Prevention magazine)

3/4 C. oat bran
1/2 C. all purpose flour (I used wheat flour)
1/2 C. flaxseed, ground
1/2 C. wheat bran
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 orange peeled and seeded
1/2 C. brown sugar (I reduced this to 1/3 C. unpacked)
1/2 C. buttermilk (I used skim milk with a little vinegar added to equal 1/2 C.)
1/4 C. canola oil (I used 1/8 C. coconut oil and 1/8 C. unsweetened applesauce)
1 egg (I used 1/3 C. liquid egg white)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 C. golden raisins
mini chocolate chips (optional - just sprinkle a few on top of each muffin & gently poke down into muffin prior to baking)

ORANGE GLAZE:

1/8 C. orange juice
1/4 C. brown sugar
Combine in saucepan and heat through. Dip tops of muffins in glaze after removing from muffin tin.


Preheat oven to 375. Spray 2 mini muffin tins with cooking spray. In large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients and set aside. In a blender or food processor, combine oranges, brown sugar, egg, buttermilk, oil and baking soda until well blended.

Pour orange mixture into dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Do not overmix. Stir in raisins.

Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (using a small ice cream scoop works perfectly). Bake for 10 minutes** or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes in pan, dip in orange glaze, then place on cooling rack.

** If making regular size muffins, bake for 18-20 minutes.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Im definatly going to have to make these! K Ive also decided that you need to be a photographer as well as a cook!!! What else CANT you do! I love it!