Wednesday, May 5, 2010

TURKEY TACO SALAD W/ CILANTRO LIME DRESSING

I think taco salad is on most people's go-to meal list, so it's not like this is anything new for most people. However, the sauce might be! Up until about 6 months ago, I've always made the meat sauce the same as I remember my mom making it when I was a kid. But, this new version I came across is my new standard (sorry mom!). Like a few other recipes on my blog, it just happens to be from Deals to Meals. I served this with the cornbread muffins shown in the previous post.


MEAT SAUCE:

1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
2-3 Tbsp. taco seasoning (or 1 packet)
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. sour cream (optional)

Brown the meat and drain off grease. Add tomato sauce, taco seasoning and brown sugar. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream if using.

FOR THE SALAD:

lettuce (I like to use Romaine), chopped
meat sauce
tomatoes
kidney beans, rinsed and drained
olives, sliced
green onion, sliced
tortilla chips, crushed slightly (I like to use Garden of Eatin brand baked)
shredded cheese
avocado, cubed

Layer salad ingredients in above order starting with lettuce. Top with the following dressing:

CILANTRO LIME DRESSING:

1 C. favorite bottled ranch dressing
1/3 C. cilantro
1 sprig green onion
juice of 2 limes
salt and pepper
1/3 C. salsa (I didn't add this and it was still great!)

Blend above ingredients until smooth and serve over taco salad.

1 comment:

Shari said...

My mouth is watering for this salad! I love salad and this one Im going to have to try!