Sunday, May 16, 2010

WHITE CHOCOLATE LEMON COOKIES

So, it's Sunday and of course that means dessert! Not that we don't have dessert other nights of the week, but it's just a given on Sunday. As much as I wanted something brownie-ish, chocolatey, and gooey, I figured I'd venture outside my little dessert "box" and give these cookies a try. The lemon sounded refreshing and I really like white chocolate so why not?

My daughters always anticipate licking the bowl and the beater, and the spoons, and whatever else happens to have a trace of dough on it. (I know, I shouldn't allow it because of the potential for food poisoning, but...) As my 4 year old licked the spoon she immediately didn't approve of the dough and wanted me to make something else; however, my 6 year old and I had no complaints and licked everything spotless.

Once the cookies were baked, my 4 year old figured she'd give one a try since I didn't oblige her request for something else. She ate it and asked for a second. So there you have it.

WHITE CHOCOLATE LEMON COOKIES
(recipe from this blog)

1 C. butter, softened
3/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. lemon zest
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt (I just used Iodized table salt)
12 oz. white chocolate chips

ROLLING INGREDIENTS:
1/2 C. superfine sugar (or just put granulated in food processor for a few seconds)
1 Tbsp. lemon zest (I didn't add this)
GLAZE INGREDIENTS: (This glaze is fairly tart. My kids preferred cookies without it)
1/2 C. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

 In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside
In large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugars and continue to beat until everything is combined but not quite fluffy.  Add the beaten eggs one at a time. Add almond extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix to combine. Add the flour mixture and blend until just combined. Try not to over mix. Stir in the white chocolate chips. Cover and refrigerate one hour. 

Combine the superfine sugar and lemon zest in a shallow dish. Mix the lemon zest into the sugar with your fingers until it's nice and fragrant.
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove chilled dough from fridge and scoop out slightly rounded tablespoonfuls. Roll into a loose ball and roll in sugar mixture. Place each ball on the cookie sheet 2 inches apart. 

Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden and centers are just set. Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheets for about 5 minutes. Slide parchment with cookies on it off of the cookie sheet and drizzle with the glaze mixture. 


2 comments:

Shari said...

Oh my gosh these look SOOOO good Kel! I want to make these right now! YUM, my mouth is watering!

Shari said...

These were very very good! I could just eat the dough...but of course I ate the cookies also! But yes, these are probably the best cookies Ive had in a long time!!!