Sunday, June 6, 2010

APPLE SQUASH MINI MUFFINS

It's been a while since I've made muffins. I usually make them at least once a week if not more. These sound too much like fall to be making in late spring, but trust me, they're great any time of year. I titled them "squash" muffins because the recipe actually calls for pumpkin, but I have been using my frozen butternut squash puree from my garden last year in place of anything calling for pumpkin. I made 3 versions of these muffins; with walnuts, with chocolate chips, and with raisins. All 3 were really tasty, and I usually gravitate to the ones with chocolate chips, but this go-round, I quite liked the ones with raisins. As you may have noticed from other posts, I usually decrease the sugar, use all or mostly whole wheat or oat flour, use mostly applesauce in place of oil, and add flax meal to make these a little healthier. These turn out nice and moist, so best if eaten within a day or two.

APPLE SQUASH MINI MUFFINS:
makes approx. 30-32 mini muffins

2 1/2 C. white wheat flour
2 C. sugar (I use just under 1 3/4 C. and still plenty sweet)
1 Tbsp. pumpkin pie spice (or a combo of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, etc.)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. ground flax (optional)
2 eggs (I use 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
1 C. canned pumpkin or pureed butternut squash (cooked)
1/2 C. vegetable oil (I use unsweetened applesauce)
2 C. finely chopped peeled apples
other optional add-ins:
raisins, walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, craisins, cinnamon chips, etc.

Cinnamon sugar (to sprinkle on tops)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease muffin tins with cooking spray or use muffin liners.
2. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples and any other add-ins. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar.
3. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. If making regular size bake for 20 minutes.

No comments: