Sunday, June 13, 2010

CHICKEN DIVAN

Usually I plan ahead for our Sunday meal, but last night I just pulled some chicken from the freezer and hoped I would figure out something to make with it. For some reason, everyone in the family is extra hungry after church, so I knew I needed something fast. I just happened to have everything I needed for this recipe I found a few weeks ago from Taste of Home. It cooks fast because of the chicken being pounded so thin. My kids loved it, which was a pleasant surprise!

CHICKEN DIVAN
(adapted from Taste of Home)
 4 servings
1 C. water
8-12 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed*
2/3 C. liquid egg whites
1 Tbsp. skim milk
1 C. seasoned bread crumbs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded real thin
4 Tbsp. trans-fat free spread such as Smart Balance (or butter)
1-2 slices of deli ham per chicken breast*
1 slice of reduced-fat swiss cheese per chicken breast

1. In large skillet, heat 1 C. water to boil. Add asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
2. In shallow bowl, combine egg white and milk. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.
3. Dip both sides of each chicken breast in milk mixture, then in bread crumbs.
4. In same skillet as asparagus was cooked in, add butter and melt over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook approx 3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center.
5. Top each breast with ham slice, 2-3 asparagus spears, then slice of cheese. Cover with lid and cook 1-2 more minutes to allow cheese to melt. 

* My chicken breasts were quite large, so I ended up having to add an extra asparagus spear and extra ham slice to cover it. The original recipe called for one slice ham and 2 asparagus spears per breast.


2 comments:

Shari said...

This looks really good and very easy! I think I will have to make it! Thanks for all your great dinner ideas sis!

Shari said...

So I tried this and it was very easy and very good! But...for anyone who happens to forget the probably most important part...pounding the chicken really thin!(And Im not the cook in my family...obviously) but what happened to me was I put on the milk mix and bread crumbs tried to cook the rediculously not so thin chicken and they burnt! Due to the chicken not being cooked through, I scraped off the burnt crumbs which came off very easy and cooked the chicken then redid the milk mix and bread crumbs. And it was still very tasty! And like my sis said when I sent her a pic of the finished project is, you have to just do it and learn what you need to do different to make it better! Sooo true!