(adapted from Taste of Home)
1 C. water
8-12 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed*
2/3 C. liquid egg whites
1 Tbsp. skim milk
1 C. seasoned bread crumbs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded real thin
4 Tbsp. trans-fat free spread such as Smart Balance (or butter)
1-2 slices of deli ham per chicken breast*
1 slice of reduced-fat swiss cheese per chicken breast
1. In large skillet, heat 1 C. water to boil. Add asparagus and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
2. In shallow bowl, combine egg white and milk. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.
3. Dip both sides of each chicken breast in milk mixture, then in bread crumbs.
4. In same skillet as asparagus was cooked in, add butter and melt over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook approx 3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in center.
5. Top each breast with ham slice, 2-3 asparagus spears, then slice of cheese. Cover with lid and cook 1-2 more minutes to allow cheese to melt.
* My chicken breasts were quite large, so I ended up having to add an extra asparagus spear and extra ham slice to cover it. The original recipe called for one slice ham and 2 asparagus spears per breast.