Thursday, June 10, 2010

CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

These enchiladas are a great way to use up leftover chicken. I had some rotisserie chicken from last night that I wanted to use up and remembered this recipe from a while back that I made out of a ward (church) cookbook. It's pretty simple and pretty common, but quite satisfying. I tweaked it a bit from the original version to suit our taste (and health consciousness). It does use condensed cream of chicken soup, which I try not to use too often, but ...

CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
(makes 10-12 medium enchiladas)

3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed or shredded (I used rotisserie chicken)
1 (24 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 C. sour cream (reduced fat is fine)
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
1/2 C. reduced sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 Tbsp. chili powder
4 C. shredded Cheddar cheese (I used a LOT less and still yummy)
sliced olives, optional
sliced green onion, optional
salsa, optional
10-12 flour tortillas

Cook chicken breasts as desired, then shred or cube. Mix soup, sour cream, green chilies, chicken broth, seasonings and 1 C. cheese (I didn't put any cheese in at this point) together in a pot. Warm on medium heat until gently bubbling. Pour a little sauce to cover bottom of 9x13 pan. On each tortilla, layer chicken, sauce and some cheese and olives if using. Roll up and place seam side down in 9x13 pan side by side. Pour remaining sauce, sliced onion, grated cheese and salsa over top. Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes. Makes 2 (9x13) pans

No comments: