Friday, June 25, 2010

ISLAND RICE

If you are looking for a rice switch-up, this is it! I was pleasantly surprised with the blend of flavors; the coconut and pineapple offer a little sweetness against the buttery, salty rice and there's a nice subtle lemony hint from the cilantro. I could eat this as a meal in itself! So glad I spotted this recipe at Double Dipped Life just in time to serve with the lettuce wraps I made for dinner. She calls it Pineapple Cilantro Rice, but I took the liberty to rename it something a little more exotic.

ISLAND RICE:
1 C. rice (I used 1/2 C. long grain brown, 1/2 C. long grain white), cooked with 2 C. water or as directed on package

To cooked rice add:
 juice from 1 lime
2 Tbsp. butter
3-4 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro (more or less depending on how strong you want the flavor)
1-2 small cans crushed pineapple, drained (reserve juice) (I used approx. 10 oz. from a larger can)
1/2 C. sweetened, shredded coconut
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all together and serve immediately. If needed, add some of the reserved pineapple juice to thin out rice if it gets too thick.

No comments: