Tuesday, June 1, 2010

LIGHT BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS WITH CHUNKY GUACAMOLE

I love home made tortilla chips, especially when they are fried up fresh with a sprinkling of salt! But, since we try to steer clear of too much fat and fried food I usually bake them, which still turns out a tasty, crisp and healthy chip!

This is the first time I've ever made guacamole in almost 12 years of marriage. For almost 12 years now I have been under the impression that my husband didn't like guacamole. He loves avocado but says he hates the texture of smooshed up avocado like you get with guacamole. Well, wasn't I surprised a few months ago when at a restaurant he dug into the guacamole appetizer and loved it! Apparently his opinion of guacamole was formed when he got it from a low-budget local "Mexican" (very Americanized Mexican) restaurant that practically pureed it. The chunks of avocado are key!

LIGHT BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS      (makes enough for 2-3 people)

3 Flour tortillas (I like to use Lynn Wilson Thin Style Lite)
Oil such as Canola or Olive Oil
Salt and/or other seasonings

Preheat oven to 400.
Brush both sides of tortillas sparingly with the oil. Stack on top of each other and cut into 8 wedges using a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Place in single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle liberally with salt.
Bake for approx. 15 minutes, flipping each chip once.


CHUNKY GUACAMOLE
(slightly adapted from Sisters Cafe)

2 avocados, chopped (don't get ones that are too mushy)
lime juice
1/2 Anaheim Chile pepper, finely minced (we like it mild, but you could use a jalapeno for more heat)
1/4 C. fresh Cilantro leaves, chopped
Kosher salt, to taste

Squirt lime juice over avocados and toss to coat. Gently smash avocado chunks with fork just a few times. Add remaining ingredients and mix.

3 comments:

-Susan- said...

Yum...gotta give your Guacamole recipe a try! Will give your baked tortilla chips a try too. I usually cut my light tortillas into 8ths and pop them in the microwave for a minute or so. Use them with salsa. A treat without the fat calories. Love your blog..just discovered you and am a huge fan!

Kelli said...

Thanks so much for the confidence boost! There are so many great food blogs out there, it's a pleasure to have you look!

Κάθαρσις said...

I have to try your tortillasm, and as for guacamole, I know it is perfect because I do it very similar nad also, chunky. Unfortunately, here we do not have cilantro, so I put in ground coriander seeds.