Thursday, June 17, 2010

SHEET PAN BROWNIES

It was my cute little nephew Jake's 1st birthday the other day and my sister (his mom) is not much of a baker, but she ventured out and tried to make cake from scratch that is baked in an ice cream cone. Well, let's just say at least she tried! I was already set to make a batch of brownies as a second option dessert for the party, but I quickly switched to this large-batch recipe I found over at A Bountiful Kitchen. My sister did end up buying some cupcakes last minute to help feed the crowd, but these still flew out of the pan! I cut them pretty big since our family loves their sweets! I think I got about 24 pieces and there were maybe only 5 left. I modified the recipe a bit, using shortening for some of the butter because I ran out of butter and had to used some milk chocolate bar to make them not so "dark" tasting. They are definitely best the day you bake them!

SHEET PAN BROWNIES
(makes approx. 24 - 35 brownies)

Preheat oven to 325. Spray sheet pan with cooking spray.

1/2 C. cocoa
4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened baking chocolate
4 sticks butter
4 C. sugar
8 large eggs  
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour

Melt butter, chocolate and cocoa together in large saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and gradually stir in sugar. Add eggs 2 at a time until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl and stir. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture in thirds. Do not over mix.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake approx. 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool. Cut with a plastic knife to keep edges smooth.

No comments: