Wednesday, June 9, 2010

SWEET & TANGY FOUR BEAN SALAD

I can tell my blogging is going to slow down a bit with "summer" here. I put summer in " " because it's summer break from school for the kids, yet the weather is anything but summer-like. I live in Utah, but you could convince me I'm in Oregon with all this rain!!

This is a recipe I've had in my to-try folder for a long time and finally got around to making it. So glad I did because it's a good one! It's a nice change of pace from more traditional sides or salads. The dressing gave it just the right amount of moisture and flavor to still let the beans shine through. Very easy and quick to make and it makes a lot! This would be great for a pot-luck.

SWEET AND TANGY FOUR BEAN SALAD
(makes about 12 1-cup servings)

8 oz. fresh green beans, trimmed
3/4 C. cider vinegar
2/3 C. tomato juice
1/4 C. vegetable oil
3 Tbsp. dry red wine or apple juice
1/2 C. sugar (I decreased this slightly)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
1 clove garlic, minced (1/2 tsp)
1 (12-oz.) pkg. frozen shelled edamame (soybeans), thawed
1 (14.5-oz.) can cut wax beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
4 large carrots, coarsely shredded


1. In large saucepan cook green beans in boiling slightly salted water for 10 minutes or just until tender; drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
2. In extra-large bowl combine vinegar, tomato juice, oil, wine or juice, sugar, Worcestershire, mustard and garlic. Stir in beans, green onion, and carrot. Refrigerate, covered, 4-48 hours. Serve with slotted spoon.

Each serving: 174 calories, 6 g. fat, 24 g. carb, 6 g. fiber

No comments: