(makes 12 ; 4 servings of 3 each)
(Recipe from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook, 1996)
12 cabbage leaves (Cabbage leaves will separate easily if you first remove core from head of cabbage and let cabbage stand in cold water for 10 minutes.)
1 lb. lean ground turkey or beef
1/2 C. uncooked instant rice (I used partially cooked long-cooking rice)
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 C.)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (4 oz.) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained (I didn't add these)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. water
1. Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until leaves are limp. Remove leaves; drain.
2. Heat oven to 350
3. Mix ground meat, rice, 1/2 C. of the tomato sauce, salt, pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
4. Place about 1/3 C. of ground meat mixture at stem end of each leaf. Roll leaf around meat mixture, tucking in sides. Place cabbage rolls, seam sides down, in ungreased casserole dish.
5. Mix remaining tomato sauce, the sugar and lemon juice; pour over cabbage rolls.
6. Cover and bake 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and juice is clear.7. Remove cabbage rolls to platter. Pour liquid from baking dish into 1-quart saucepan. Mix cornstarch and water; stir until dissolved, then add to tomato sauce mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Pour sauce over cabbage rolls and serve.