Wednesday, July 21, 2010

CABBAGE ROLLS

My friend, Angie came over last night as I was making these for dinner and begged me to put the recipe on my blog quick cause she was curious to try them herself. I haven't made these in years and had forgotten about them, but I had some cabbage and ground turkey that needed to be used up and this recipe popped into my head. This is a healthy meal and a little different from the norm for most people around here, I'm sure. They really are better than they sound or look, so if this is something you think  you'd never like, just try them, I think you'll be surprised!

CABBAGE ROLLS
(makes 12 ; 4 servings of 3 each)
(Recipe from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook, 1996)

12 cabbage leaves (Cabbage leaves will separate easily if you first remove core from head of cabbage and let cabbage stand in cold water for 10 minutes.)
1 lb. lean ground turkey or beef
1/2 C. uncooked instant rice (I used partially cooked long-cooking rice)
1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 C.)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can (4 oz.) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained (I didn't add these)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. water

1. Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water. Cover and let stand about 10 minutes or until leaves are limp. Remove leaves; drain.
2. Heat oven to 350
3. Mix ground meat, rice, 1/2 C. of the tomato sauce, salt, pepper, onion, garlic and mushrooms.
4. Place about 1/3 C. of ground meat mixture at stem end of each leaf. Roll leaf around meat mixture, tucking in sides. Place cabbage rolls, seam sides down, in ungreased casserole dish.
5. Mix remaining tomato sauce, the sugar and lemon juice; pour over cabbage rolls.
6. Cover and bake 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and juice is clear.
7. Remove cabbage rolls to platter. Pour liquid from baking dish into 1-quart saucepan. Mix cornstarch and water; stir until dissolved, then add to tomato sauce mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Pour sauce over cabbage rolls and serve.

3 comments:

Shari said...

Im glad that Angie had you post these I want to try them! I think they look so good! I will defiantly use the turkey meat again! I loved that salad the other night! This sounds really dumb but do they taste similar to lettuce wraps?

Kelli said...

Not really because with lettuce wraps, the lettuce is crisp and cold, where the cabbage on these is soft and warm

Shari said...

Oh yeah, I wouldnt have thought of that, but very true. I'll for sure have to try these they look yummy! Thanks for posting all of your delicious food for all of us to see and try. I have tried some of your recipes since being out here in Iowa and Carli even got on and made the malt ball treat! So yes, we both have loved your blog, so keep up the good work sis! Love ya lots!