Thursday, July 8, 2010

EGGLESS MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM SANDWICH

I was set on making ice cream sandwiches this afternoon.(It's a kick I've been on lately.) I went to my fridge and discovered I was completely out of eggs! What? I always have eggs! So, I googled eggless chocolate cookies and found this recipe to try with some eggless homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream. I've had a Cuisinart ice cream maker for the past few years that I use probably once every few weeks, and of all those times, I've made something other than vanilla maybe twice! I was pretty pleased with the turnout of these sandwiches other than the bottoms got a tiny bit soggy, but I think that's because the ice cream was at the soft serve stage when I put them together. Next time, I'm going to try freezing the ice cream more solid first, then making the sandwiches. By the way, if you LOVE cookie dough like I do and usually eat dough even when it has eggs in it because the deliciousness is worth the risk of food-poisoning ; ), then this dough will give you all the pleasure without the risk!


EGGLESS CHOCOLATE COOKIE
(adapted from Recipezaar) makes approx. 12-14  medium size cookies

1/4 C. trans-fat free margarine, such as Smart Balance
2 Tbsp. Canola or Vegetable oil
3/4 C. sugar
3-4 Tbsp. milk or water
1/4 tsp. salt (scant)
1/2 tsp. baking soda (scant)
1 C. All-purpose flour
1/3 C. cocoa

Preheat oven to 400
1. Cream margarine, oil, sugar & 1 Tbsp. milk until light and fluffy.
2. Add remaining milk and  beat well.
3. Mix dry ingredients
4. Add dry ingredients to margarine mixture
5. Refrigerate for 30-60 minutes
6. Roll into balls and place on greased baking sheet
7. Bake @ 400 for approx. 9-10 minutes (they will look puffy)
8. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely

EGGLESS MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP ICE CREAM
(adapted from Allrecipes)

1 C. 1% milk
1 C. half & half
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
3 drops green food coloring, optional
1/2 C. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. In a large bowl, combine milk, half & half, sugar, salt, vanilla & peppermint extract. Stir until sugar is dissolved. 
2. Add food coloring and stir until evenly colored.
3. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to instructions. 
4. After 10 minutes of freezing, add the mini chocolate chips. 
5. Continue to freeze in ice cream maker until thick, approx. 30 minutes.
6. Remove ice cream from maker and place in freezable container.
7. Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.

Assembly of Ice cream Sandwiches:

Place a heaping mound of ice cream on top of the bottom side of one of the chocolate cookies. Place another chocolate cookie bottom side down, on top of the ice cream. Gently press the two cookies together; trying to get ice cream to squeeze out to edges of cookie. Once assembled, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze 30 minutes or until ready to eat. 

 

No comments: