Friday, July 16, 2010

FETA STUFFED BURGER W/ PESTO MAYO

I haven't made a good old beef burger for a long time because I usually make turkey burgers. Either way, these burgers were pretty good! The feta was a nice change from regular cheddar or jack that I would usually melt on top.  I stuffed a few with feta and a few with provolone, then topped with a roasted red pepper, butter lettuce and a pesto mayo spread I got from Paula Deen's show. The picture probably would have looked better had I used a nice thick traditional bun, but we like these Earth Grains thin buns, to save on carbs and calories. Toasted up on the grill they hold up pretty well to the juice and sauce from the burger.

FETA STUFFED BURGER
(makes 4 (1/4 lb.) burgers)

1 lb. ground beef or ground turkey (Since patties are so thin, you want enough fat in it so patties don't fall apart)
salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, etc.

A trick I learned from watching The Food Network, is to season your meat throughout like you would when making a meatloaf, then form into patties.  

1.  Crumble ground meat into medium size bowl, then sprinkle with desired amount of above seasonings. Mix gently and don't overwork the meat.
2.  Form into 8 very thin patties
3.  In the center of 4 patties, place a few tablespoons of Feta Cheese (I used crumbled, but block would be fine too.) Then top with remaining patties. Seal edges by pressing down edges, to encase cheese, then round out any jagged edges.
4.  Grill on medium-high until cooked to your liking (approx. 5-6 minutes per side, depending on final thickness).

Another tip is to NOT press down on the burgers, this just makes all the juices escape the burger and dries it out.

Serve on toasted buns with desired toppings such as:
Roasted Red Pepper
Butter Lettuce
Pesto Mayo (recipe follows)

PESTO MAYO

1/3 C. mayo (I used one made with olive oil)
3-4 Tbsp. prepared basil pesto
salt, to taste

3 comments:

Shari said...

This looks very good Kel! I just may have to make this. It looks super simple too! Your just too creative. I was watching this show on TLC called DC Cupcakes where 2 sisters quit their corporate jobs and decided to open up a cupcake store and it has been a huge success, so successful that they showed the lines people wait in to just have one of their cupcakes. I thought of you when I saw this cause I think you should seriously open up some kind of resturant! I think you would be very successful with something like that! You should really think about it, cause it would be something you love love love to do and have always been good at and your food is to die for! Serious! Love ya!

Kelli said...

You are too nice! Thanks for the compliments. I do love cooking, but don't think I could handle the stress of a restaurant. I will just be your personal chef when you are making the big bucks!

Emily said...

I love this recipe! I am all over the feta pesto combo! We'll be making these soon!