Saturday, July 31, 2010

FRUIT PIZZA

This past Thursday was one of our very valued employees last day working for our granite company before moving out of state for her husband's schooling, so I wanted to make a treat to take into the office for her. I was pressed for time and I thought I'd make fruit pizza the easy way by purchasing pre-made sugar cookie dough from the grocery store to bake up as the crust. After running other errands, I hauled my 3 kids to the grocery store get some dough. I left without it. On purpose. I just couldn't bring myself to purchase dough with all kinds of added preservatives and artificial stuff when I had all I needed at home to make the crust myself. I guess I like to make life more stressful than it has to be sometimes! By all means, if you want to use store bought dough, go for it!

Fruit Pizza is nothing new to most people, but there are a lot of variations you can make with it, such as this glaze I put on it. I typically don't use a glaze, but this was a nice addition.

I labeled this as "easy" because if you do use the store bought cookie dough it is very simple. For the traditional fruit pizza like I made, just use your favorite sugar cookie dough recipe or this one:

ALTON BROWN'S SUGAR COOKIES:


3 C. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. unsalted butter, softened
1 C. sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. milk


Sift dry ingredients together. Set aside.  Place butter and sugar in large bowl and beat with electric mixer until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees


Spray rimless baking sheet or pizza pan with cooking spray. Grab a few handfuls of dough and mound in center of baking sheet. Flatten with palms of hands into a round, flat shape, adding more dough as necessary to make desired size and approx. 1/4" - 1/2" thick. (You will have dough left over).


Bake until fairly firm to the touch, approx. 15-17 minutes.


Once the crust has cooled completely, spread with the following:


SWEETENED CREAM CHEESE SPREAD:


1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese ( I use reduced fat)
1 C. Powdered Sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Mix together with hand mixer until smooth and creamy


Top with whatever fruit you have on hand. It's nice to do fresh fruit if possible, but you can also add in some canned stuff like I did above. I used canned mandarin oranges, canned pineapple, fresh peaches, and fresh strawberries.


GLAZE:
5 tsp. cornstarch
1 1/4 C. unsweetened pineapple juice
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 C. peach or apricot jam (optional)
Place all ingredients in small saucepan, stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened. Cool slightly and pour over fruit pizza.


Here are a few twists you could put on this classic dessert:


Cookie Base:
Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip
Cream Cheese Spread mix-ins:
Peanut Butter, Mashed Strawberries, Various extracts: mint, orange, almond
Toppings:
Various fruit, Crushed Oreos or other cookie, Nuts
Drizzle:
White chocolate, Chocolate, Caramel, Melted jam, Glaze

No comments: