Sunday, July 4, 2010

NON-ALCOHOLIC WATERMELON MARGARITAS

I very rarely make a specialty drink, but after trying this one I'm hooked! I modified the recipe from the latest issue of The Food Network magazine. Unfortunately I didn't measure out anything other than the watermelon, so I hope I can approximate good enough to make it turn out the same using these measurements. I had to go to two different stores to find the Pop Rocks candy to rim the glasses, but it was worth it; it added a fun and tasty touch for the fourth of July festivities!

NON-ALCOHOLIC WATERMELON MARGARITA
(Serves approx. 4 )
 
Fill blender with cubed watermelon that has been seeded (approx. 5 cups)
Add: 
3/4 C. orange juice
2-3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
1/4 - 1/2 C. lime juice (depending on tartness you desire)
1/2 - 3/4 tsp. salt
3-5 hand fulls of ice (more if you want it thicker)

Puree and pour into cups and serve immediately. 
Optional garnish: Rim each cup with Pop Rocks candy by crushing candy while still in unopened bag. Dump into shallow dish. Rub a tiny bit on honey on rim of each glass, then dip rim into the Pop Rocks.

4 comments:

Butterfly said...

Wow, looks like a very refreshing drink. i’m definitely going to try this!!!!

Shari said...

This does look very very good! I wish I would have seen this earlier cause Ive bought a few watermelons in the last few weeks and I always have a ton cut up. But of course, it does seem to disapear somehow. :) But I am going to try this cause Dirk and I have been wanting to start working out together and eat healthier so Ive been making smoothies with fresh fruit for the last couple A.Ms. and this looks healthy and very refreshing for a hot, humide day in Iowa! Thanks Kel!

Kelli said...

Don't skip the Pop Rocks; they really make it fun!

Shari said...

K so Carli and I just tried this and it was really good! I think we decided that we needed a better watermelon though. But we went all over town to find Pop Rocks! We finally found them at Walgreens!!! Was yours slushy or runnier? We werent sure what kind of texture/consistancy we needed, but it was very tasty! And I agree the pop rocks defiantly make it fun!