Thursday, July 22, 2010

WACKY CAKE ("RHINOING" B-DAY CAKE)



My baby boy turned 2 yesterday and he loves going for Rhino rides in the mountains, so I did the best I could with the idea.  I'm posting this not because it's overly attractive by any means, but because the chocolate cake I used is AWESOME! It's a recipe I got from my mother in law a while back, and she got it from some American Heart Association publication. It's very similar to your typical Texas sheet cake, only it doesn't have any eggs in it, thus reducing the cholesterol. It is SOOO moist, rich and chocolately! It it always a hit and is great for parties because it's made in a sheet pan so it serves a crowd.


WACKY CAKE
(American Heart Assoc.)

Preheat oven to 350

3 C. all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
2 C. sugar (I even reduced this to a little more than 1 3/4 C. and it was still plenty sweet)
1 tsp. salt

Mix above ingredients on low until well combined.

Add:
2 C. cold water
3/4 C. canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. vinegar

Beat together for about a minute. Pour into a greased rimmed sheet pan (cookie sheet) and bake for 20-25 minutes. (Mine was ready closer to the 20 min. mark) Cool completely and frost if desired.

Frosting:
1 lb. powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp. cocoa
1/3 - 1/2 C. softened, trans fat free margarine (I use Smart Balance)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
milk for desired consistency

Combine all ingredients and whip until smooth.
 

4 comments:

Shari said...

This is such a cute idea, just like all of your kids cakes are and any cake or dessert or actually anything you do! I just wish I could have been there for my lil Maxies #2 b-day! I want to know what you used for the trees and what is the mound? Super cute Kel and I can only imagine how AMAZING it was!!!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

What a fun cake!

Stephanie Castillo said...

I LOVE making this cake!! My family loves it! I was wondering though if I could make into cupcakes?

Kelli said...

I've never used the recipe for cupcakes, but I'd imagine they'd turn out ok. Let me know if you try!