Tuesday, August 24, 2010

BBQ CHICKEN BAKED POTATOES

My husband and I used to eat a lot of baked potatoes, but now we seldom have them because of their starch, carbs, glycemic index rating; you know, all the good stuff! I spotted this recipe in the Aug/Sept 2010 issue of Taste of Home magazine. My family loves BBQ chicken, and my husband loves blue cheese so I cut it out thinking I'd make it one of these nights when we weren't being "sticklers". Tonight was that night. I wasn't sure how the flavors would all come together on a baked potato, but there were no complaints here! The reipe makes a lot, so I halved it and used just 2 baked potatoes, and still had chicken left over. You could make the full recipe and use the leftover chicken for pulled chicken sandwiches another day.

BBQ CHICKEN BAKED POTATOES
serves 10


(Printable Recipe)

4 1/2 lbs. bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed (I just used 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 large red onion, sliced into thick rings
1 bottle (18 oz) honey BBQ Sauce
1 C. Italian salad dressing
1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1/2 C. cider vinegar
1/4 C. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. Liquid Smoke, optional
10 medium potatoes, baked ( I wrapped in tin foil and put on outdoor grill for a little over an hour)
Crumbled Blue cheese and chopped green onion for garnish (could use Feta if you don't like blue)

Place chicken in 5 or 6 quart slow cooker; sprinkle with garlic powder and top with onion. Combine the BBQ sauce, salad dressing, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire and liquid smoke; pour over chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender. When cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones, discard bones and onion. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred meat and return to slow cooker; heat through. Serve over baked potatoes with blue cheese and green onions.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Hi! I made your bbq last night and it was a hit!

Kelli said...

So glad to hear! I love comments and feed back, it's what keeps me going!

Kevin said...

That baked potato looks so good!