Thursday, August 19, 2010

HEALTHIER ZUCCHINI BREAD

Yes, I am on a zucchini kick; it's hard not to be when I've got it stashed in every corner of my pantry! My daughter has been begging me to make zucchini bread for a while now. I pulled out this recipe that I made once a few years ago because I didn't want a recipe laden with oil and tons of sugar, making it more like a dessert than a bread. A bit of lemon flavors this bread and gives it a nice hint of "freshness", but you could just use all vanilla extract and still get a great result. Grab a glass of milk and a hunk of this bread for a quick and tasty breakfast!

HEALTHIER ZUCCHINI BREAD           makes 2 small loaves
Adapted from Cooking Light, July 2005


(Printable Recipe)

1 1/2 C. all purpose flour
1 1/2 C. white wheat flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbsp. instant vanilla pudding mix, dry (optional)
1/2 C. egg substitute
1/3 C. canola oil
1 tsp. grated lemon zest (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 C. sugar (I reduced this from 1 1/2 C. so if you want sweeter bread, use the full 1 1/2 C.)
3 cups shredded zucchini (12 oz)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

1. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through pudding mix) in large bowl.

2. Combine egg substitute and next 5 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl; add sugar, stirring until combined. Add zucchini, stir until well combined. Add flour mixture; stir just until combined.

3. Divde batter evenly among 2 well greased (8x4) loaf pans. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans on wire rack, remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.

1 comment:

Κάθαρσις said...

I am up to my ears in zucchini as well and always on the look out for some new ways to use them. This bread looks very yummy and I shall definitely try to make it.