Saturday, August 14, 2010

TERIYAKI CHICKEN RICE BOWL

Finally! I'm back to posting! New computer, new wireless modem, all is well... for now. Last night I threw these rice bowls together and they were WAY better than I expected! I'm sure part of the success was due to the home made Teriyaki Sauce recipe I used from Our Best Bites, it's the best and so easy! This is a great meal to throw together when you don't have a lot of time. This is the first time I've used short grain brown rice, which is the type of rice used by a lot of restaurants such as Rumbi, Pei Wei, etc. in their rice bowls. It makes all the difference; nuttier in flavor and with a little more "bite" to it. I definately reccommend using it! I almost didn't add the orange zest in, but I'm SO glad I did! It brightened the dish and gave it a nice orange essence without overpowering it. Feel free to use whatever kind of veggies and meat you like, or omit meat for a satisfying meatless meal. I used all fresh veggies, but you could certainly get a bag of frozen to make life that much easier! I'm tagging this as "healthy" and "low fat" because it is... until you drown it in this sweet, sugary Teriyaki concoction! Use at your discretion for "healthy" :)

TERIYAKI CHICKEN RICE BOWL
Serves 4-6


(Printable Recipe)


Teriyaki Sauce (follow the link above for Our Best Bites)
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenders (or more depending on how much meat you want)
Assorted Veggies of your choice, sliced thin
     I used broccoli, carrots, onion, zucchini, yellow squash
Water or chicken broth for cooking veggies
1 - 1 1/2 C. (measured dry) Short grain brown rice, cooked as directed on package
Zest from one orange, optional but reccommended!
Chopped or slivered almonds, optional


Cook rice according to package directions.


Cut chicken into small 1" cubes. Saute in large pan with a little oil until just cooked and golden, adding orange zest during last minute or two. (If you question whether or not it's cooked through, don't worry, it will get time to cook again later with veggies.)Remove chicken to plate and cover to keep warm. Add veggies to pan, adding a touch more oil if neccessary, cover wid lid and saute until tender, adding water or broth to help steam them and prevent burning. Add the chicken back into pan for the last few minutes of cooking to warm through.


Assemble Teriyaki bowls by layering rice on bottom, then top with veggies and meat. Serve with a generous amount of Teriyaki Sauce drizzled over top and add almonds to garnish, if using.

No comments: