Tuesday, August 3, 2010

WHEAT DROP BISCUITS

I must admit that biscuits have never been something I cared to make. But one night I was frantically trying to get some food thrown together to take to my husband who was working late.  I was out of bread and didn't have time to even make bread sticks, so I glanced in my cookbooks and came across this recipe. They were supposed to be rolled and cut out, but because I didn't have time, I just plopped them on the baking sheet and crossed my fingers. They turned out awesome!  I love the contrast in texture the "hills and valley's" give these; a little crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  Now, an "awesome" biscuit to me and an "awesome" biscuit to a southerner are probably two completely different things, but regardless, these are yummy and have become a go-to recipe.

WHEAT DROP BISCUITS    
(recipe adapted from Juleen Ward's Farm Biscuits)
makes 9-12 depending on size


(Printable Recipe)


1 1/4 C. wheat flour
1 C. all purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/3 C. shortening ( I use all vegetable shortening which is free of trans-fat)


Mix together first 5 ingredients. Cut in the shortening. Gently stir in the following:


2 beaten eggs
2/3 C. milk


Mix just until the dough follows the spoon. Knead 4-5 turns on floured board. (You may need to add more flour to get the dough so it's not sticky.) Drop mounds onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.


No comments: