Monday, September 20, 2010

BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING

I have heard about this frosting before, but have never tried it until tonight. Wow! I never knew simply browning the butter could change the flavor of the frosting so much. I was using it to frost cupcakes for my daughter's birthday party, and was nervous that it wouldn't hold up. I just figured it would be real runny because of the butter being melted instead of just softened, but it turned out perfect. I was able to pipe it onto the cupcakes and it held its shape even after setting out for over an hour. I think this would be especially tasty on some fall recipes such as pumpkin cookies or a spice cake!

BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING
(from The Sister's Cafe)
(Printable Recipe)

1/3 C. unsalted butter
3 C. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 + Tbsp. milk (I ended up using about 3 Tbsp)

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until delicate brown in color. Remove from heat and let cool.  Mix in powdered sugar. Add vanilla and enough milk to make a spreadable consistency.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Why is it I am always commenting on the goodies? These cupcakes were VERY yummy! And this frosting was AMAZING! I never knew you could brown butter and it would taste so dang good! But this is another frosting of yours that is a FAV! I agree with you on putting this on pumpkin cookies and spice cake! Yummy!