Friday, September 17, 2010

LIGHT MULTI GRAIN QUICK BREAD

I still haven't found the charger to my camera battery, and NO I haven't got my new camera either; however, I resorted to an old digital camera that hasn't been used in a while. The quality of the photo is not great, but at least it's something to look at, right? I was in a bind this morning, as my kids have wanted a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast for the past few mornings and I kept promising I would make some bread, but as of this morning still hadn't got around to it. I quickly googled for multi grain quick bread and found this recipe here. I must say, it turned out better than I expected. Of course we had to cut into it before it could cool down completely, therefore the texture in the picture looks a little "sticky". I was afraid it wouldn't be very flavorful, but I was wrong. The raisins add a good amount of sweetnesss. I made a few modifications to the original recipe; since I did't want whole raisins in this bread, I pureed them. This was really quite tasty with a spread of peanut butter!

LIGHT MULTI GRAIN QUICK BREAD
(Printable Recipe)

1 cup of water, boiling
1 cup of dates or raisins
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 cup of natural bran
1 cup of whole wheat flour (or you could use graham flour)
1 cup of rolled oats
1/3 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of milk (it called for 2% but I only had 1% so I added a few Tbsp. of half and half
1/4 C. egg beater (optional; original recipe didn't call for this)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Prepare a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Grease and flour the pan unless using a non-stick variety.
Pour boiling water over the dried fruit used. Add the baking soda, mix and wait for five minutes, then puree in blender or food processor.


Sift together the remaining ingredients and add to the softened dates or raisins. Mix until all is combined.


Pour the batter into the pan. Bake until done, approx. 50 minutes 


Serve this light, healthy multigrain quickbread as a snack or with a meal.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I had no idea there was such a thing as a multigrain quick bread...awesome!

nicesonu said...

wow! love the lamp lights! they will surely create a unique Bathroom looks that is warm and inviting. personally my dream kitchen has these lights from VGK " Kitchen Lighting " this blog is full of wonderful designs and positive thoughts on the remodel