Saturday, September 11, 2010

LUAU SLOPPY JOE

My husband isn't a huge fan of sloppy joes, so I rarely make them, but when I saw this recipe at One Lovely Life, I had to try it. The sweet addition of pineapple takes this sloppy joe to a new level. My husband even commented more than once on how good it was. It's almost even better the next day, which is good because this makes a lot.

LUAU SLOPPY JOE
(Printable Recipe)

1 1/2 lb extra lean ground beef or ground turkey ( I used turkey)

2 slices bacon, diced
salt & pepper
1 medium sweet onion, diced (I only used half)
1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 c barbecue sauce
4 Tbsp tomato paste (I didn't have this so just added more tomato sauce)
1/2 c brown sugar (I used slightly less and it was still plenty sweet)
1/4 c soy sauce
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 c diced pineapple (I used canned pineapple tidbits)
Buns, to serve




Directions:


In a large saute pan, brown ground beef and bacon together over medium heat. Remove meat from pan and drain any fat.

In same pan, cook onion and bell pepper until tender. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Return meat to pan and add tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, and tomato paste. Stir well. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine and taste.


Simmer about 10 minutes or until thickened. Add in pineapple and heat through.


Serve on your favorite buns.



2 comments:

Carrian said...

oh my husband loves sloppy joes, but I've never really made them. this looks like the perfect way to start

Samantha said...

I was a bit sketchy how mine would turn out since I didn't have BBQ sauce I didn't have BBQ sauce and had to make it up as I was making this. The result was delicious! I didn't have tomato paste so used ketchup (organic) and only added 2 tbsp. Used regular white vinegar and also added a bit more Worcestershire than what's called for and 1 tbsp of dijon mustard. I put extra pineapples along with the juice so it was sweet enough so I reduced the brown sugar. Didn't have to add salt at all since the low-sodium soy sauce made it plenty salty. Excellent recipe!