Sunday, September 26, 2010

SOUTH BEACH DIET "MASHED POTATOES"

Nobody in my family follows the South Beach Diet, but my husband does try to limit his "starchy" carb intake most of the time. These "potatoes" are actually cauliflower that has been pureed to mimic mashed potatoes. I can't say that if I was served these, I would be fooled into thinking they are really potatoes, but they worked for me as a substitute. Would I make them again? Yes. Often? No.

SOUTH BEACH DIET "MASHED POTATOES"
(Printable Recipe)
4 servings

1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
3 cloves garlic
2 cans reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives

1. Combine cauliflower, garlic and broth in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 12 minutes.
2. Reserve 2 Tbsp. of the cooking liquid, then drain cauliflower and garlic. Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth, adding liquid, if necessary, to moisten mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Just before serving, stir in chives. Serve warm.

No comments: