Wednesday, October 20, 2010

COMPANY POT ROAST

Seems like I am always apologizing for my poor photos, but again I ask you to forgive the blurr. I don't do pot roast a whole lot, but my husband an I both think this is probably the best pot roast recipe we've tried! The recipe is one of Ina Garten's, so of course it's good! I got the idea after seeing it posted on Lovin From The Oven. I had already been to the grocery store when I got home and realized I didn't get a key ingredient, the burgandy cooking wine. I thought about just substituting beef broth instead, but I figured the cooking wine was probably what was going to make this dish unique, so I went back to the store to get it. I'm SO glad I did! The flavor was amazing!

COMPANY POT ROAST
(Printable Recipe)

3-4 lb. boneless chuck roast, tied (I don't care for chuck roast so I used a cross rib roast)
sea salt and pepper
all purpose flour
olive or canola oil
1 C. chopped carrots (approx. 4)
1 C. chopped yellow onion (approx. 1 medium)
1 C. chopped celery (approx 2-3 stalks)
3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
1 C. Burgandy cooking wine
14.5 oz. can whole tomatoes, cut up in can (I just used canned diced tomatoes)
1/2 C. chicken stock (I used chicken broth and added a few Tbsp. beef base for extra flavor)
1 branch of fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
1 branch of fresh rosemary or 1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter or margarine
1 Tbsp. all purpose flour

DIRECTIONS



Pat beef dry with a paper towel. Season roast on all sides with 1/2 Tablespoon of sea salt and 1/4 t. black pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and put into the fridge overnight. (I skipped this step and still turned out great)

The next day, dredge roast in all purpose flour, including the ends. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 T. oil over medium heat. Add the roast and sear for 4-5 minutes, until nicely browned. Turn and sear each side and ends. Remove roast onto a plate.

Add 2 T. oil to the Dutch oven. Add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, scraping the browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Add the red cooking wine, tomatoes, and chicken stock, stirring to combine.

Put the thyme and rosemary on top of sauce. Place browned roast back into the pot, bring to a boil, and cover.

Place in slow cooker, and cook with lid on for approx. 6 hours on LOW

OR use your oven following these directions:

Place in a preheated 325ºF oven for 1 hour.

Reduce oven temperature to 250ºF and continue cooking for another 90 minutes or until meat is fork tender or about 160ºF internally.

Proceed with the following, regardless of method of cooking:

Remove roast to a cutting board. Remove strings from roast, cover with foil and let sit to redistribute the juices.

Remove the fresh rosemary and thyme from the pot and discard. Skim off as much fat from the top of the sauce as possible. Transfer half the sauce to a bowl (or food processor or blender) and use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Pour the puree back into the pot or slow cooker place on the stovetop over low heat, and return the sauce to a simmer. If using slow cooker, just warm through.

Mash 1 T. of flour and 1 T. butter in a small bowl. Stir into the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring until thickened. Taste for seasonings.

Slice meat against the grain for slices or with the grain for shredded beef.

Serve warm with sauce spooned over the meat.
















































4 comments:

ARLENE said...

Hi, Kellie. Glad I found your comment on Deb's blog. See, someone IS out there. I love those cookie dough rice crispie bars. I made short ribs tonight--also with wine. You can't go wrong with Ina.

Kelli said...

Thank you so much for the confidence boost! I will have to browse through your blog too!

Frieda said...

Hi Kelli! Thanks for the comment and for sharing the love...this is an AMAZING pot roast recipe. I agree with Arlene...you can't go wrong with Ina.

Shari said...

Kel this looks way good! Maybe you should make it again and have us all over for dinner...with a dessert of sugar cookies?