Thursday, March 1, 2012

revisiting - CREAMY CHICKEN APPLE CHILI

Chicken Apple Chili
This is such a great recipe that I had to repost it with an updated picture. The previous picture was pretty much unappetizing. This one at least does it the justice it deserves!
Original Post: My family is putting together a recipe book of some of our favorite recipes, and this is definitely one of my favorite soups! The combination of chicken and apples in a chili may sound strange, but trust me, it's wonderful! I have made this with both chunks of chicken breast and with ground turkey and I like it both ways. It is an easy and hearty meal that's perfect for fall.

CREAMY CHICKEN APPLE CHILI
serves 8
(Printable Recipe)


1/4 C. extra virgin olive oil
2 lbs. chicken tend
ers, cut into ½” slices, or 1 lb. ground turkey
4 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 McIntosh apples, cut into ½” cubes (other apple varieties work fine too)
1 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. butter
¼ C. flour
2 C. chicken stock or broth
¾ C. milk
Two 15 ounce cans white beans, rinsed (Great Northern Beans)
1 – 2 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese


Toasted tortillas or crusty bread, for serving
Chopped green onion, for serving

1. In large dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until barely cooked through; transfer to a bowl. (OR you can mist 2 small chicken breasts with oil, season it with salt and pepper, then bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes, cool slightly, and chop or shred.)
2. In the same pot, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Add the apples and onion (and spices if cooked chicken separately) and cook, stirring, until softened, 6 minutes; add to the chicken.
3. In the same pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour for one minute; whisk in the chicken broth and milk until thickened, 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken-apple mixture and beans, bring to a simmer. You may need to add more milk and/or broth for consistency.  Ladle into bowls, then top with the cheese and green onion. Serve with the tortillas or crusty bread.



Technorati Tags: ,,,,






5 comments:

Carrian said...

Done! Dinner tomorrow is planned!

Kelli said...

Let me know what you think of it, Carrian!

Deborah said...

I love the sweet/savory combination and this sounds wonderful!

Kathy B. said...

I have been wanting to serve more homemade soups for lunch. I made this yesterday...it was so easy, and it was really good! The shredded cheese on top made it extra good.

Heidi @ homeingreece said...

I'm going to make this tonight. If I manage to do it justice, I'll probably reblog it! Thanks for the recipe - which I found on tastykitchen by the way :) I use dried beans so I'll pressure cook them as my first step I guess.