Wednesday, October 13, 2010

PUMPKIN SPICE BITES WITH MAPLE FROSTING


This past weekend we held the grand opening of our new facility for our granite counter top business. We have actually been at our new location for about 10 months, but it has taken us a while to get things finished up. I took it upon myself to "cater" the refreshments. My husband suggested I make it easy on myself by purchasing everything from Sam's Club and calling it good. Well, of course I couldn't do such a thing. I didn't want it to appear that that's what we did. So, I baked my little heart out and crossed my fingers that we would have enough. I do have to admit that I purchased a few boxes of Upper Crust's mini cinnamon rolls at Sam's Club, just to stretch things out a little more. Thankfully, all went very well and my estimation of refreshments left us with a little to spare. These mini cupcakes or bites, whatever they may be, were a hit. The recipe is meant to be made into a sheet cake, but I wanted things that were easy to eat without utensils, so I baked them in mini muffin tins. Which ever way you make them; just make them!

PUMPKIN SPICE BITES WITH MAPLE FROSTING
(Printable Recipe)

1 box Spice cake mix
1 can pumpkin (15 oz)
1 C. Miracle Whip (this is the secret to keeping it super moist)
3 eggs
(*update* NO butter in the cake mixture as previously posted)

Mix cake mix, pumpkin, miracle whip & eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Pour into greased sheet pan. Bake @ 350 for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.  If making into "bites", divide batter evenly among mini muffin tins and bake @ 350 for 10-12 minutes. Frost with maple frosting

MAPLE FROSTING

2 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 C. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. milk or half and half
1/2 tsp. maple flavoring

Blend ingredients together until smooth and creamy. May need to add more milk to get correct consistency.

2 comments:

cbo said...

Can you use the non fat or low fat mIracle whip?

Kelli said...

You probably could, but I would be afraid that it would change the flavor overall. Non fat and low fat miracle whip tends to have a tangier taste to it, so I would keep with the original!