Monday, November 8, 2010

CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE CARAMEL CORN

This is a very addicting treat! I was in a hurry to make a "thank you" treat for someone who had done me a big favor, and I thought about my go-to caramel corn recipe. This recipe is one that holds memories for me as it came from a friend who was killed in a car wreck about 7 years ago, while pregnant with a much-longed-for child, so each time I make it, I think of her as I look at her handwriting on the recipe card.

Usually this is a gooey, sticky caramel corn, but I wanted it to be a little easier to package up and look nice, so I baked it in the oven to let it crisp up a bit.

CARAMEL CORN
recipe from Emily Barrus
(Printable Recipe)

1/2 C. butter, melted (no substitutes)
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. white corn syrup
1/2 C. sweet and condensed milk

Mix together in large microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 3-5 minutes, check after 3 minutes to be sure it doesn't scorch.

Pour over 2 packages of microwave popcorn that have been dumped into a very large bowl, with unpopped kernels removed.

Enjoy as is for a gooey, sticky, messy treat, or spread slightly cooled caramel corn onto two rimmed sheet pans that have been sprayed with nonstick spray and bake at 250 degrees for about 45-60 minutes, stirring ocassionally.

Cool slightly and drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired. I used chocolate almond bark that I melted in microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring after each until just melted.

You can also add nuts, candies, etc. to this for a customized treat.

No comments: