Sunday, November 28, 2010

CROCK POT PORRIDGE

Our typical Sunday morning breakfast is to grab a banana and run out the door to be to church by 9am. Last night, I decided to think ahead and make a crock pot breakfast so we could actually have a warm Sunday breakfast for once. I've made overnight oatmeal in the crockpot in the past and it has always ended up extremely dried out and half burned. This time, I decided to put the setting to "warm" instead of "low" and see what would happen. Perfect! I think my crock pot tends to be a little hotter than others, so "warm" may not be best with yours, but it was just right for mine. This was a very hearty, filling, comforting, and tasty breakfast. You can make it as healthy or unhealthy as you want, depending on the amount of sweetener and liquid you use. I opted to use a little half and half along with skim milk to thin it out a bit once it was in my bowl, and I used a packet of PureVia sweetener. I threw a few Craisins and Almonds and called it...GOOD!

CROCK POT PORRIDGE
Recipe from The Eat Clean Diet Cookbook by Tosca Reno
(Printable Recipe)

1/2 C. cracked wheat (I used Quinoa)
1 1/2 C. steel-cut oats
1/2 C. rye flakes (I used barley flakes)
1/2 C. brown rice
1/4 C. wheat germ
1/4 C. ground flax (could wait and add this right before serving)
6 1/2 C. water or any combo of liquids including rice milk, soy milk, etc. (I used 2 1/2 C. skim milk & the rest water)
1/2 C. raisins (I used dried blueberries)
1/2 C. chopped dates (didn't use)
1 Tbsp. best-quality bourbon vanilla (didn't use)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla (I used 1 Tbsp.)
pinch of nutmeg

1. Place all ingredients in a 3 quart or greater crock pot. Stir well to combine all ingredients. Cover.
2. Set on lowest cooking temperature (or warm setting) and cook overnight.
3. Spoon into bowls in the morning and serve with desired garnishings such as half & half, milk, berries, nuts, sweetener, etc.

1 comment:

Janey said...

This is an excellent idea. Our ward moves to 9am this January. We had our second child this past July and we're a tad worried as to how Sunday mornings will go. How will we ever get there on time! lol! I'm trying this oatmeal and will use it for Sunday morning. Thanks!

P.S. Found your blog on The Hive.

www.mydailycuisine.blogspot.com