Tuesday, November 16, 2010

GERMAN SCONES


We celebrated my husband's birthday the other day. I have to laugh because several months ago, out of nowhere he said, "I know what I want instead of cake for my birthday party. Scones." You have to understand that we don't really allow ourselves to eat fried desserts very often; like, once a year maybe. So, I decided to take his request a few steps further and go full-boar. I fried up a storm that day making churros, pumpkin cake donuts, chocolate cake donuts, and finally these soft, pillowy scones. (I have to say they were soft and pillowy because my husband says they look hard and crusty in the picture!) In the past (when I used to not be so reserved about frying things) when I would make scones, I would just defrost the Rhodes Roll dough, stretch it out and plop it in the fryer. Those are good, but these are way better!

GERMAN SCONES
recipe from Taste and Tell

2 packages dry yeast
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup butter
2 teaspoons salt
3 eggs, beaten
4 1/2 cups flour (may need slightly more)



Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the 1 tablespoon of sugar; set aside.

Pour the boiling water over the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the butter, and the salt. Add the eggs, mix well. Add in the yeast mixture and 2 cups of the flour. Beat with a mixer until smooth. Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups flour and mix in. Let this rise for 1 hour (I just kept it in the mixing bowl) and then refrigerate until cold.

Roll out very thin (about 1/4 inch) on a heavily floured surface, and cut into 3 inch squares. Fry in hot oil until brown, then flip and fry until both sides are browned and puffy.

Serve with butter and honey, cinnamon honey butter, jam, or coat them with granulated sugar.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

Oooh, now I can't wait until Christmas morning for some of these! Happy belated birthday to your husband - it sounds like it was a fun filled day!

Carrian said...

i loooooooooooove scones! oh i so wish i could have butter in my life so i could make these