Tuesday, November 2, 2010

HOMEMADE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP

Now, I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms, nor am I a huge fan of Cream of Mushroom Soup, as far as sitting down to eat a bowl of it. But... I do like using it in recipes. Since I prefer to not use the condensed soups too often, this recipe is a great one to have on hand. Not only is it healthier for you, it tastes a lot better too. I actually might consider eating this straight out of the bowl, ok, I actually did! I'm sure you can swap out the mushrooms for broccoli, chicken, etc. to come up with whatever cream of _______ soup you need.


CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
recipe from food.com
(Printable Recipe)

8 ounces fresh mushrooms (I used rehydrated freeze dried mushrooms)
2 tablespoons onions, chopped (I used rehydrated minced dried onion)

1 -2 garlic clove, minced

2 tablespoons butter

2 -3 tablespoons flour (seperated)

2 cups chicken broth

1 cup light cream or 1 cup evaporated milk

1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I used closer to 1/8 tsp. of fresh ground)


* I did end up adding a little cornstarch mixture at the end in order to thicken it up a bit for the recipe I was using it in.
Directions:


1 Cut the mushrooms into slices.
2 Melt butter in large frying pan. Add in onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until onions are soft.
3 Blend in 2 T. flour and stir.
4 Add in the chicken broth and heat until slightly thickened while stirring frequently.
5 Stir cream with additional 1 T. flour and seasonings. Add in cream to soup. Heat to thicken while stirring frequently.
6 Serve and enjoy!

3 comments:

Carrian said...

I love that. Thanks for posting this. I think I'll make some to freeze!

Kelli said...

Great idea! I think I'll have to do that too, so it's ready when I need it!

Melanie said...

I also try to stay away from condensed soups so this is a great recipe for me to add to my arsenal. Thank you!