Tuesday, November 30, 2010

KATHY'S BEEF ENCHILADAS

This is my mother in law's recipe, hence the name, "Kathy's". These enchiladas are easy and use ingredients that are usually on hand.They are kind of an "americanized" mexican food, as they don't have any real "authentic" mexican ingredients, but that's part of what makes them so appealing to kids! I use low carb wheat wraps for my husband and I, and regular flour tortillas for the kids, and both ways turn out great.

KATHY'S BEEF ENCHILADAS
makes approx. 9 medium enchiladas
(Printable Recipe)

1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (32 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice (drain slightly)
1/2 C. chopped onion
1/2 a green pepper, chopped
1 small can sliced olives
mexican seasonings such as cumin, chili powder, onion powder, etc.
shredded cheese
flour tortillas
green onion
sour cream, optional

1. Saute green pepper and onion, add to tomatoes & tomato sauce. Sprinkle with mexican seasonings. Simmer for 15-30 minutes.
2. In seperate pan, brown 1 pound ground beef, add green onion part way through, then olives when beef is completely browned.
3. Spoon meat mixture down center of each tortilla, sprinkle w/ cheese and roll up. Cover bottom of 9x13 baking dish with 1/3 of the tomato sauce mixture. Place enchiladas in dish and cover with remaining tomato sauce mixture. Sprinkle with more cheese & bake @ 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

2 comments:

Carrian said...

Ya know, as a kid I hated enchiladas and now I can't get enough of them! I missed out for all those years

Janey said...

These look really easy. I'm all for easy! Yum!