Sunday, December 19, 2010

BAKED TRIPLE VEGGIE DIP




I haven't done a post in a little over a week for two reasons: 1. Too busy with the hectic holiday season, and 2. I have been in a major "blogging" slump lately. I contemplated giving up because I just can't keep up with the "Jonses" of the food blogging world. 
Well, this post is proof that I haven't completely given up. I have been worried about letting my few, but very cherished followers down by not having a lot of posts, or having boring content, or pictures that aren't pretty enough, etc. But I have to remember the real reason for this blog; I do it because I love to cook and share recipes, and hope to inspire others to cook more and have confidence in their ability! 
So, pressing forward.....


I decided a few weeks ago to start trying more recipes for appetizers and dips to use as a "filler" between coming home from church and meal time. For some reason, everyone is starving after church, no matter what time it is. This is also my husband's favorite time, to just nibble here and there, relax, and watch football.
I thought I was prepared with all the necessary ingredients to make this, but soon realized I was short on the cream cheese! I scratched my head for a minute and came up with a substitution that ended up being great! Nonfat cottage cheese that I pureed in my food processor. I'm always pleased with myself when I'm able to adapt a recipe to utilize what's already in my fridge or pantry! The best part of all, my kids devoured it, meaning they might have actually got a good amount of veggies in them for once!

BAKED TRIPLE VEGGIE DIP
makes 4 1/2 Cups
(Printable Recipe)

1 1/2 C. 100% GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
1 CAN (1 LB. 3 OZ) ASPARAGUS SPEARS, DRAINED & CHOPPED
1 PKG (10 OZ) FROZEN CHOPPED SPINACH, THAWED & LIQUID SQUEEZED OUT
1 CAN (8 1/2 OZ) ARTICHOKE HEARTS, DRAINED & CHOPPED
1/2 BLOCK (4 OZ) REDUCED FAT CREAM CHEESE, SOFTENED
1/2 C. NONFAT OR LOWFAT COTTAGE CHEESE
1 GREEN ONION, CHOPPED
1/4 -1/2 TSP. ONION POWDER
PINCH OF SALT
1/2 C. MAYO MADE WITH OLIVE OIL (KRAFT)

PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 F. RESERVE 1/4 C. OF THE PARMESAN CHEESE; SET ASIDE.  IN MEDIUM BOWL, COMBINE REMAINING PARMESAN CHEESE, ASPARAGUS, SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE HEARTS.

IN A FOOD PROCESSOR, PULSE CREAM CHEESE, COTTAGE CHEESE, GREEN ONION, ONION POWDER AND SALT, UNTIL SMOOTH. DUMP INTO BOWL WITH SPINACH MIXTURE AND ADD MAYO. STIR UNTIL WELL COMBINED.

SPOON INTO GREASE 2 QT BAKING DISH.  SPRINKLE WITH 1/4 C. RESERVED PARMESAN CHEESE.
BAKE 35 MINUTES OR UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWNED.  SERVE HOT WITH CRACKERS OR ASSORTED CUT UP VEGGIES.

9 comments:

Merut said...

You'll defeat the blogging beast. I get into slumps all the time. I love this veggie dip. Especially the addition of asparagus!

Janey said...

I get into slumps, too. Don't give up! I've deleted blogs before and completely regretted it. You do an awesome job and will always improve. Just look at the beginning of my blog--it's horrible! Not that it's awesome now or anything, I too don't have many followers, but it's still fun to share food stuff.

I love how simple your posts are. It's a reason I'll keep returning! Plus, it's nice to follow food bloggers from Utah who might feel the same way I do.

Janey said...

Oh, and I love cottage cheese in a dip!

Kelli said...

Thanks for the encouragement! It's good to know I'm not alone feeling this way!

cbo said...

Please don't stop posting! I have tried several of your recipes and we have enjoyed them all!
I can't wait to try this and I totally understand about Sunday afternoon--it is so hard for everyone to wait for dinner!

Julie said...

My first time to visit your blog...have to say this dip sounds super! Don't let blogging stress you or make you feel guilty. I think it's all about fun (unless your making serious money at it ;)

Carrian said...

I keep getting into the same slump. BLEH. I think, "I need a better camera, a better set up for pictures, better recipes, more of my own creations, a better site etc" See, you probably don't have half the self consciousness, stress or pressure I have running through my mind! I need to just relax and not worry, but it's hard sometimes. I love your posts and am in fact posting one of your recipes next week so stick around!

Kelli said...

Carrian, I promise you are not alone in your self-consciousness! I just didn't dare list ALL the things I think, otherwise people might see it as a "poor me" post :)

Yadi I. said...

I'm definitely trying this recipe! Just looking at the pic makes my mouth water.

I feel just like you sometimes. I wish I knew how to take amazing pictures all the time. When I do, they get published in the famous food sites we all know, but that's just a one in 20 occurrence. Keep cooking and posting, don't give up!