Friday, December 3, 2010

MACARONI GRILL BREAD


Those of you who have eaten at Romano's Macaroni Grill, know how delicious this bread is! And with the dipping oil-- yum! This bread is super easy to make at home and turns out so soft and light. The key is to use FRESH rosemary, not dried from a bottle.  Another key component is to use KOSHER salt on top, not table salt. I served this with dinner the other night and set out a dish of good quality olive oil sprinkled with fresh cracked pepper and italian dried herb seasoning with good quality balsamic. Macaroni Grill doesn't use balsamic with their oil, so do what you like.

MACARONI GRILL BREAD
makes two small loaves or one large loaf
recipe from food.com
(Printable Recipe)

1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons rosemary
2 tablespoons butter

Kosher Salt
 
1. Place yeast, sugar and water in large bowl or food processor and allow mixture to become bubbly.
2. Mix in 1 T butter, salt, and 2 cups of flour.
3. Add one tablespoon of the fresh chopped rosemary.
4. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or in food processor about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
5. Add more flour if necessary.
6. Oil a bowl, put dough in it and cover with a towel.

7. Let dough rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled.
8. Punch down dough and divide in half.
9. Let dough rest about 5 minutes.
10. Spray baking pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray.
11. Shape the dough into 2 small rounded oval loaves.
12. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tablespoon of rosemary over the loaves and press lightly into the surface (I found that they didn't stay put very well, so I just use the full amount inside the loaf and just salt the exterior)
13. Let loaves rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
14. Preheat oven to 375°F.
15. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
16. Carefully remove from oven, brush with remaining butter and sprinkle generously with salt.

    3 comments:

    Janey said...

    Awesome! I love this bread. I'm trying it before my rosemary dies. And yeah, I always have to ask them to bring out the balsamic.

    Your pictures are great! Food is hard. Lighting, when the sun goes down, is my biggest challenge. I just got a new lens, so I've been playing around with it. I think we're all learning as we go!

    Kelli said...

    Thanks for the photo compliment Janey! Believe me, you will LOVE this bread!

    Kelli said...

    Oh, one other tip that I got from another blog is to freeze your sprigs of fresh rosemary in a vaccum sealer. It works great! Now I can use my fresh rosemary year round.